Hue dimmer switches keep losing connection

Updated on January 8, 2018 in [Hardware for Philips hue]
5 on January 17, 2017

I have 48 “items” linked through my Hue bridge – I have been having problems with the switches saying unavailable on the app and not working.  My bridge is at one end of the house and I find that most of the switch issues happen at the other end – I thought due to the “mesh network” that if any worked they would all work (there’s no more than 15 feet from any one to next component in my house, I have the lights and switches all across the house) – would moving the bridge to the middle of the house (requires running an ethernet line or I’d have already tried it) make a difference?

  • Liked by
Reply
1 on January 18, 2017

Now I have 6 of 10 switches saying “unreachable” – this kills the program, anyone have any ideas on this?

 

on January 8, 2018

Hi Maverrick1967 —-  I am having the exact issue and just posted a question as yours.  My system had been working great up to about 4 days ago.  I’m wondering if there may have been some firmware/software update that happen that wasn’t ready for prime time.  I don’t even know how to tell if or when an update happens.  Did you ever find an answer to your problem?  I see your post in almost a year old with no other replies.  This has me a little worried that there might not be any support here at all. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Reply
Cancel
1 on January 8, 2018

I finally gave up on most of the switches and went back to my manual switches for most of the lights.  I left a couple of Hue switches in the mix, which now work beautifully, but I’ve “lost” the switched lighting that I built the system based on.  It wasn’t an update that triggered mine, they never really worked all at the same time – I would have switches work one day and not the next.  I would manually reset and reconfigure the switch, which would often (not always) make it work for a while, but I never got to a point where all switches worked all at the same time.

FYI, the “tap” switches have worked well for me from the beginning – I have a couple of those in use and they work every time.

If you find a solution please share with me and I’ll do the same.

You’re correct, no one ever even responded on this site.

 

 

 

on January 8, 2018

Hi again and thank you for your quick response.  I have good news.  I found an article about the 2.4gHz frequencies my router and the hub uses and issue like ours with the router and hub interfering with each other.  In short, I checked what 2.4gHz frequency my router was using.  It was set to “Auto”.  The article pointed out the the better frequency channels for the router to work with the hub is 1, 6, or 11.  I changed my router to channel 6 and now everything is working as it should.  If you would like to read more about this issue search the web for “ZigBee and WiFi Coexistence”, or you can go to this LINK that talks about it.

 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Reply
Cancel
0 on January 8, 2018

Wow, thanks!  I’ll try this tonight, thanks again for the great feedback…  I’ll reply with what I find once I figure this out…

 

  • Liked by
Reply
Cancel
Loading more replies