Group lights to more than 1 room/Group?

Updated on September 7, 2018 in [Apps for Philips hue]
2 on January 16, 2018

Hi switched from TRADFRI to Hue yesterday and missing one point:

I have an open kitchen to my living room.

There are 2 lights above the kitchen counter (room “kitchen”) and 3 lights in the living area (room “living”).
Both are one lamp with various bulbs. (very rough sketch below)

So light in one affects the other.
What we often do, is eating (kitchen lights on) and then watching tv. So what I want is to a) turn living room lights on and b) kitchen off with one tap in the app/ one Google Home command.

With Tradfri I could use HueEssentials to make another group “all lights” with all lights. This group then was used in the official TRADFRI-App, too. (So all lights are in 2 groups) Now I could save the “scene” TV and activate it like I said above (for all lights)

However I can’t find a option like that in Hue. Also groups I open in HueEssentials aren’t display in the official app.
It needs to go there because we use different ecosystems (Android and iOS), so the same app needs to be used)

So the question is: how to group lights in more than one group/room?

• Liked by

1 on February 6, 2018

In the Philips official app, you can’t. Lights can belong to one room at a time. It is to overcome this and other limitatations that I created HueZapper. You can define “zones” instead of “rooms” and you can assign lights to multiple zones as you please. It also has a feature for lamps with several bulbs in them, where you can have those bulbs appear as one. Please take a look: http://www.huezapper.com. The app is iOS only, though.

Giulio

on September 7, 2018

I use IFTTT which allows you to make custom applets to do a lot of different smart home functions. These 3 applets turn off individual rooms and then you can assign them to Google assistant commands and if you assign multiple applets to one Google command they will all run in succession.

So for instance, I have three applets assigned to the command “hey Google turn the downstairs lights off” and it turns off the TV room, the kitchen, then the hallway. I would love it if Hue allowed us to assign lights to multiple rooms or zones but until then, this works really well.

IFTTT is very easy to use. It guides you through making the applets, there are a lot of Smart Home services that it works with, and is free for Android or iPhone.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
Loading more replies